Overview of the role
We are recruiting several robotics software engineers across a variety of levels and range of experience. If you’re a software engineer with experience working on robotic systems operating in the real world this is a chance to help bring new autonomous capability to market for our novel uncrewed air vehicle, Stork.
You will lead the design and implementation of our autonomy architecture and middleware, working to deliver the software platform to implement our perception, control, planning and other autonomy algorithms.
Responsibilities… what will you do?
As a Principal / Senior Robotics Engineer you will be responsible for:
Design and implementation of the autonomy architecture and middleware. You will lead the task of decomposing our autonomy functionality for perception, planning and control into components to allow for experimentation and development. You will also be responsible for the implementation of this architecture, in terms of the middleware, conventions for implementing nodes/components, supporting tools etc. Leading the delivery of significant packages of work, like the robotic middleware, including tasking and mentoring other members of staff. Implementing components within the middleware, such as sensor drivers or integration of other functionality developed by the wider team (e.g. simulation engines). Implementation of R&D perception algorithms (supporting R&D Scientists to deploy novel perception algorithms into real robots). Supporting flight tests and data capture activities. Role model positive, proactive behaviour and provide mentorship to other members of the team
Essential skills and experience… what are we looking for? You will have the following skills and experience:
- ROS experience, or other middleware.
- C++ and Python experience, with deep expertise in one.
- Multi-threaded programming and RPC.
- You’ve worked on robots in the real-world, outside a lab setting.
- You’re comfortable defining and owning the software architecture for an autonomous system.
- Experienced Linux user.
- Commercial software development experience.
- A demonstrable proactive approach to resolving complex issues
- A proven history of ownership of deliverables with a focus on results
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience working on the full stack of a robot.
- Experience of vision systems, or other high data rate sensing system.
- An understanding of sensor fusion algorithms.
- Understanding of underlying middleware technologies, e.g. DDS.
- Embedded systems, SoC systems like Jetsons.
- Networking, test and CI systems.
- Computer Vision, ML or GNC experience.
- Experience with drones or larger UAVs, technologies such as PX4, MAVlink etc
Benefits… what do you get?
- Competitive salary Circa 65k, dependent on experience
- EMI share options scheme
- Flexible working
- 25 days annual leave, bank holidays, plus 3 days additional leave for Christmas closure
- Company discount scheme
- Pension scheme
- Career Development Framework to support your professional development
This role is advertised as full-time but we want to hire the best person and would therefore consider part-time options.
Note to all applicants Due to the security classification on the work we do, we will undertake a routine Baseline Personnel Security Standard check on the successful applicant. This is a standard process which includes references and career history checks.
For full details of how we will use your personal data please see our Recruitment Privacy Statement available at www.animal-dynamics.com/rps